Saturday, July 18, 2009

Double backflip in moto X

LOS ANGELES - He said he'd never do it again. After landing the first double backflip in moto X history earlier this year in Spokane, Wash., Travis Pastrana said he was done with the trick. He told his parents. He told the media. He told himself. Then he changed his mind.
On Friday night, Pastrana-who had never won a best trick gold-landed the first contest moto X double backflip during best trick finals. The STAPLES Center crowd erupted as Pastrana, the final man to ride, motioned his intentions to the crowd, rolled down the start ramp and launched into history. Mat Rebeaud rode away with the silver, and Aussie Blake "Bilco" Williams toke home the bronze.
"There is not much in life that compares to this feeling I have now. I'm on cloud nine," said Pastrana. "I was pretty sure I wasn't going to make it, but was confident enough to get close. When I landed, I was riding away and said, 'Wow, I can't believe that actually worked.'"
Pastrana's trick was so impressive his competitors were speechless. Until it came to praising the 22-year-old rider.
"I'm happy to finish number two behind him," said Rebeaud. "Two years ago, he didn't know me, and I only knew him from TV and a picture in my room. So, now, to be competing with him in the X Games is so cool. If I can't win, it doesn't matter."
Added Williams, "It's pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I'd heard rumors he'd never do it again, but you can't count Travis out. And then, sure enough, in practice I saw them pull the ramp back. I knew everyone else would be fighting for silver and bronze."
Pastrana didn't only impress his peers. He doubled up in front of a Hollywood-laced crowd that included Sandra Bullock, Monster Garage host Jesse James and 13,000 fans. Rebeaud and Williams put on impressive displays as well. Rebeaud, landed a knack knack under flip twice (once one-handed), while Williams landed a cliffhanger back flip and a heel-clicker 360.

No comments:

Post a Comment